Happy Valentine’s Day! I created this recipe for Cucumbertown, an awesome recipe blogging platform. Check it out!
Pastries filled with red bean paste are very popular here in Korea and all over Asia. In this fusion recipe, sweet red bean ‘jam’ is layered between bakery bread and cut into hearts to make a uniquely delicious stuffed french toast. It’s the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast in bed!
Sweet Red Bean Stuffed French Toast
-8 pieces of wheat bread (fresh bakery bread is the best)
-2/3 cup milk
-2 Tbls roasted soybean powder (or flour)
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/4 tsp salt
-3/4 cup canned red bean jam (통단밭), or homemade – see recipe below
-powdered sugar, whipped cream, fresh fruit and maple syrup for topping (optional)
Homemade Red Bean Jam
-1/2 cup adzuki beans
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 Tbls butter
-1/2 tsp vanilla
-1 Tbls lemon juice (optional)
-3 cups of water
1. Make the batter for the french toast by combining the eggs, milk, roasted soybean powder (this adds great flavor and texture), ground cinnamon, and salt.
2. Make the sandwiches by spreading about 2 Tablespoons of the sweet red bean jam between two slices of bread.
3. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and melt the butter to coat the pan.
4. Dip each sandwich into the batter on both sides, let excess batter drip off.
5. Grill 1 or 2 sandwiches at a time in the pan. Cook on each side for about 2-3 minutes until they are golden brown.
6. Remove the sandwiches from the pan and keep them warm in the oven set at a medium-low temperature.
7. Once you are ready to serve the French toast, you can use a cookie cutter to cut each sandwich out into heart shapes. Then, top with whipped cream, fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or maple syrup. Enjoy!
Homemade Red Bean Jam
1. Rinse and boil the beans for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until the beans are soft. ** You can also use your rice cooker here.
2. Drain the beans and return them to the pan along with the butter, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Simmer with about 1/3 cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes over medium heat until it is the consistency you want.
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find all the ingredients at Home Plus. The red bean jam is seasonal (usually sold in the summer for making patbingsu). You can check the smaller marts or make your own. You can find the fresh wheat ‘brown’ bread in the bakery section of any mart or Paris Baguette/Tous Les Jours. The good butter is at Costco.
For 1 Serving (1 Sandwich): 342 Calories, 9.6 g Fat, 3.9 g Saturated Fat, 116.6 mg Cholesterol, 479.8 mg Sodium, 51.1 g Carbohydrates, 3.8 g Fiber, 22.2 g Sugars, 12.1 g Protein. *This does not include syrup or toppings.