These festive gingerbread men cookies will liven your holiday spirit. Enjoy with hot chocolate to stay warm!
Iced Gingerbread Men
Servings: Makes about 40 cookies
-6 Tbls butter, softened
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup low-fat milk (I used soymilk)
-1 tsp vanilla extract (or 2-3 drops vanilla concentrate)
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
-1 cup white wheat flour
-1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional, if you have it)
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
-1/3 cup milk (I used low-fat)
-4 tsp egg white powder (meringue powder), it helps the icing harden, buy it online here
For the Cookies:
1) Combine the butter and sugar together in a bowl and mix. Add the egg, vanilla, milk, and salt. Stir to combine.
2) Mix the dry ingredients together – the flours, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and baking soda.
3) Combing the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and form into a ball. You may have to knead this dough with your hands to form a ball, it will be very stiff.
4) Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes or overnight.
5) Flour a cutting board or counter-top.
6) Roll out your dough so it is about 1/4 of an inch thick. Use gingerbread man cookie cutter to cut out your cookies.
7) Place your cookies on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
8) Bake the cookies at about 215-220 degrees Celsius for 7-9 minutes.
9) Cool on a cooling tray/rack for about 30 minutes before icing.
For the Icing:
1) Combine the powdered sugar, meringue powder, and milk in a bowl.
2) Pour the icing into a plastic baggie or piping bag.
3) Cut a small hole in the end and pipe the icing onto each cookie. Use a chocolate pen or candies to make the face or buttons of the gingerbread men.
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. All the ingredients can be found at Home Plus including the spices, the American butter can be found at Costco. Check out ilovecookie.co.kr for baking ingredients and supplies. You can purchase the powdered egg whites at gmarket.
For 1 Serving (1 cookie with icing): 104 Calories, 2.3 g Fat, 1.3 g Saturated Fat, 11.1 mg Cholesterol, 51.5 mg Sodium, 19.9 g Carbohydrates, 0.7 g Fiber, 13.9 g Sugars, 1.5 g Protein.