Happy Thanksgiving! The combination of pumpkin, spices, and white chocolate make this bread a comforting treat.
White Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-1/2 cup white wheat flour
-3/4 tsp salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
-1 1/2 cups mashed steamed squash (see ‘Canned’ Pumpkin recipe)
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-2/3 cup milk (2%) + 1 Tbls apple cider vinegar (to make buttermilk or use 2/3 cup lowfat plain or vanilla yogurt)
-3 Tbls canola oil
-1 tsp vanilla extract (or 3-4 drops of vanilla concentrate)
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
-1/3 cup white chocolate chips
-2 tsp sugar + 2 Tbls oats (for sprinkling)
*Preheat oven to 215 degrees Celsius.
1) Make the buttermilk by mixing the apple cider vinegar and milk. Let set for at least 10 minutes or make it the day before.
2) Combine the dry ingredients together, the first 7 ingredients.
3) Combine the wet ingredients together, the next 5 ingredients.
4) Add the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients and mix.
5) Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently mix together, do not over-mix, some lumps of flour is okay.
6) Pour the batter into a greased large loaf pan or two smaller loaf pans.
7) Sprinkle the sugar and oats evenly on-top of the batter.
8) Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour for a large loaf or 30-35 minutes for two smaller loaves , or until the bread has set and is no longer gooey inside.
9) Cool the bread for about 15-30 minutes or until you can’t stand waiting anymore. Enjoy!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. The vanilla concentrate and white chocolate chips can be found at Home Plus. The flours can be found a your local mart (Top Mart, Jin Mart etc…).
For 1 Slice (1/16 of the total): 151 Calories, 4.6 g Fat, 1.2 g Saturated Fat, 14.8 mg Cholesterol, 206.5 mg Sodium, 25.9 g Carbohydrates, 1.8 g Fiber, 13.5 g Sugars, 3.1 g Protein