These slice and bake cookies look elegant and are easy to make. They are delicious served with hot chocolate!
Slice & Bake Cookies: Chocolate Swirl
Servings: About 32 Cookies
-1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature (soft)
-1 1/4 cups sugar
-1/3 cup milk, at room temperature
-2 tsp vanilla extract (or 5-7 drop of vanilla concentrate)
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-1 1/4 cups white wheat flour
-2 Tbls cocoa powder
-3 Tbls mini chocolate chips
-sugar (for sprinkling)
1) Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl.
2) Add the egg, milk, and vanilla to the bowl. Whisk together until uniform.
3) Sift the flours, baking soda and salt together with a fine mesh strainer into a separate bowl.
4) Combine the dry sifted ingredients into the wet ingredients. Stir until evenly distributed.
5) Divide the dough in half.
6) Add the cocoa powder and the chocolate chips to one half of the dough, combine well.
7) In a square or rectangular pan fitted with plastic wrap or parchment paper, spread out the plain dough in an even layer and then spread out the chocolate layer evenly on top.
8) Use the parchment paper or plastic wrap to tightly roll up the dough. *Note- the bigger the pan you use, the more swirls you will get in your dough since each layer will be thinner.
9) Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes so it is easier to slice. The dough can be frozen for up to 2 months or refrigerated for up to 1-2 weeks.
10) Score the dough in half, then half again etc… so you get even slices.
11) Place the cookie slices on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Sprinkle each cookie with a little sugar (course grain organic sugar works well)
12) Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes at 210-215 degrees Celsius. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes, the eat!!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. The flours can be found at your local mart, the cocoa powder, chocolate chips and vanilla can be found at Home Plus and the butter at Costco.
For 1 Serving (1 Cookie): 106 Calories, 3.6 g Fat, 2.1 g Saturated Fat, 14.2 mg Cholesterol, 59.5 mg Sodium, 17 g Carbohydrates, 0.9 g Fiber, 8.7 g Sugars, 1.7 g Protein.