The basis for these brownies is … wait for it… black beans (BB). Who would have thought you could use beans to make brownies? I am a fan! These brownies are dense and fudgy, less cakey than a typical brownie.
Gluten-free BB Brownies
-1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
-1/4 cup sugar
-1/4 cup agave nectar (or substitute honey or maple syrup)
– 1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted (or try 3 Tbls Nutella for some added nuttyness)
-1/4 cup prunes or raisins (I used prunes and they worked really well)
-1 tsp vanilla extract (2-3 drops vanilla concentrate, check for gluten-free)
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-2 tsp instant coffee granules (or 1 Starbucks Via packet)
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (use 2/3 cup chocolate chips if not adding the walnuts)
-1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
-1 Tbls powdered sugar (for dusting)
*Preheat oven to 200 to 210 degrees Celsius.
1) Put the agave nectar, eggs, sugar, and vanilla together in a blender, then put in the melted chocolate, prunes and beans. Pulse first and then blend until smooth for about 2 minutes. You might have to stop and start so you don’t overheat your blender!
2) Pour the batter into a bowl and stir in the remaining dry ingredients including the chocolate chips and walnuts.
3) Pour into a greased cake pan or glass oven-safe dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until the brownies don’t jiggle when you shake the pan.
4) Cool the brownies for about 10-15 minutes, dust with powdered sugar, cut into pieces and enjoy!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find all the ingredients at Home Plus, the agave nectar is also at Costco.
For 1 Serving (1 Brownie): 218 Calories, 8.9 g Fat, 3.4 g Saturated Fat, 52.9 mg Cholesterol, 244.9 mg Sodium, 34.5 g Carbohydrates, 4.1 g Fiber, 23.9 g Sugars, 5.4 g Protein.
Without walnuts, but more chocolate chips
For 1 Serving (1 Brownie): 208 Calories, 7.3 g Fat, 3.8 g Saturated Fat, 52.9 mg Cholesterol, 245.2 mg Sodium, 36.1 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 25.7 g Sugars, 4.9 g Protein.
*Nutrition is based on agave nectar and chocolate chips, substituting with nutella and honey/maple syrup will change the nutrition.