This recipe tastes similar to a classic fried orange chicken, but instead of frying the chicken in oil to achieve the crunchy exterior, I crust the chicken in a sesame-breadcrumb mixture and bake it. Then, I toss the chicken in a sweet and spicy orange sauce.
Takeout at Home – Orange Chicken
-2/3 cup orange juice (fresh is preferred, but bottled is ok too)
-1-2 Tbls orange zest (or use 1 Tbls orange marmalade)
-3 Tbls brown sugar
-3 Tbls rice vinegar
-1 Tbls fish sauce (or soy sauce)
-2 tsp soy sauce
-1/4 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh)
-1 tsp Korean chili paste
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1 tsp cornstarch
-2 chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch cubes
-1/3 cup Asian-style breadcrumbs (or panko)
-1 1/2 Tbls sesame seeds
-2 Tbls flour (I used whole wheat)
-1 Tbls water
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp pepper
-1/8 tsp ground ginger
1) Combine all ingredients together. Simmer in a pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Strain the sauce using a fine strainer (a tea strainer works well too) to remove the bits of garlic and zest.
*Preheat oven to about 215 degrees Celsius.
1) Mix the salt, pepper, ginger, and flour together in a small bowl.
2) Mix the egg and water together in another bowl.
3) Mix the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds together in a third bowl.
4) Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly grease the foil with cooking spray or oil.
5) Bread the chicken by first dipping each piece into the flour mix (shake off excess flour), dip in egg mix and then coat in the breadcrumbs on all sides.
6) Put the breaded chicken on the baking tray.
7) Bake at 215 degrees Celsius for about 15-18 minutes until the chicken is done in the middle (firm to the touch) and slightly browned.
8) Remove the chicken from the oven. Put into a medium-large mixing bowl. Add the orange sauce and toss to coat.
9) Serve immediately with rice and enjoy!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find all the ingredients at Home Plus.
For 1 Serving: 347 Calories, 6.4 g Fat, 0.7 g Saturated Fat, 86.3 mg Cholesterol, 922.6 mg Sodium, 43.9 g Carbohydrates, 2 g Fiber, 24.9 g Sugars, 27.7 g Protein.