Coffeecake is a rare thing in Korea. These coffeecake muffins will make you feel right at home. Enjoy them with hot cocoa or coffee for a morning treat. If you are only baking for 1 or 2, these muffins can be frozen for 1-2 months. Just defrost in the toaster oven or microwave.
Cinnamon Streusel Coffeecake Muffins
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-1 1/2 cups white wheat flour
-1 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
-3/4 cup milk
-3/4 cup vanilla/plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream (not usually available in Korea)
-2 tsp vanilla extract (or 8-10 drops concentrate)
For Streusel Filling:
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1 Tbls cinnamon
-2 tsp cocoa powder
For Streusel Topping:
-2 Tbls butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1/2 cup sugar
-4 tsp cinnamon
1) Mix the first five ingredients together in a bowl.
2) Mix the remaining ‘wet’ ingredients together and then pour into the dry ingredients.
3) Use a whisk to mix the ingredients together until it becomes a smooth cake batter.
For streusel filling:
1) Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
For streusel topping:
1) Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon together. Cut in the butter using a fork to form small clumps or crumbs.
*Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celcius.
1) Fill a muffin cup with about 2 Tbls of the batter.
2) Layer 2 tsp of the streusel filling mixture on top of the batter.
3) Add another about 2 Tbls of batter on top of the filling mixture.
4) Sprinkle 1 Tbls of the streusel topping on top of the muffins.
5) Bake at about 210 degrees Celcius for 18-20 minutes or until they are slightly golden and done in the middle.
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. The flours can be found at your local mart, the vanilla at Home Plus, and the butter at Costco.
For 1 Serving (1 muffin): 241 Calories, 6.7 g Fat, 1.6 g Saturated Fat, 28.4 mg Cholesterol, 180.4 mg Sodium, 42.5 g Carbohydrates, 2.5 g Fiber, 24.9 g Sugars, 4.3 g Protein.