Caramel, toasted almonds, and chocolate chips make an appearance in this innocent looking full flavor reduced-fat chocolate chip cookie. They’ll really punch you in the mouth (in a good way). What more is there to say?
Triple Threat Cookies
Servings: makes 36 cookies (3 dozen)
– 6 Tbls butter, softened at room temperature (or substitute coconut oil, yummy!)
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-2/3 cup white sugar
-2 Tbls agave nectar or honey
-2 Tbls milk (any kind you like, I used soymilk)
-1 tsp vanilla extract (or 3-4 drops vanilla concentrate)
-2 egg whites
-3/4 tsp salt
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
-3/4 cup white wheat flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 Tbls ground flaxseed (optional)
-3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
-2/3 cup almonds or walnuts
-1/2 cup (12 pieces) Korean soft pumpkin caramels (or other soft caramels), chopped into 6ths
1) Toast your nuts to make them more flavorful in the cookie. There are two methods 1- toast in an oven at 200 degrees Celsius on a dry baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, 2- toast in a dry pan over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until the nuts turn slightly darker in color and are fragrant (you can smell them). Be careful not to burn, check your nuts and stir regularly. After you toast the nuts, chop them into pieces (small to medium).
2) Mix the butter and sugars together in a bowl. Add in the milk, honey/agave, salt, vanilla and egg whites then whisk together.
3) Add the flours, baking soda and flaxseed. Stir until about half-way combined and then add the nuts, chocolate chips and caramel bits. Stir until combined, it will get pretty tough toward the end.
4) Refrigerate the dough for about 30 minutes or until you want to use it (up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator). This dough can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
*Preheat your oven to 210-215 degrees Celsius.
5) Scoop dough into 1 tablespoon-sized balls, place them about 1inch apart onto a foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet. (I just use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop so the cookies will be the same size)
6) Bake for 7-10 minutes at 210-215 degrees Celsius, until slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack or plate for at least 10-15 minutes.
Enjoy as is or with a glass of cold milk!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find the chocolate chips and vanilla concentrate at Home Plus, the almonds at Home Plus or your local mart, the pumpkin caramels and flours at your local mart, and the butter at Costco.
Nutrition Information Comparison:
Triple Threat Cookies
For 1 Serving (1 cookie): 118 Calories, 4.5 g Fat, 2 g Saturated Fat, 5.1 mg Cholesterol, 94.3 mg Sodium, 18.8 g Carbohydrates, 1.2 g Fiber, 12.1 g Sugars, 1.9 g Protein.
Nestle Tollhouse- ‘Back of the bag recipe’ (typical chocolate chip cookies w/nuts of the same size)
For 1 Serving (1 cookie): 174 Calories, 9.8 g Fat, 5.1 g Saturated Fat, 25.3 mg Cholesterol, 104.4 mg Sodium, 21.3 g Carbohydrates, 1.1 g Fiber, 13.9 g Sugars, 2.2 g Protein.