This was one of my favorite dishes in Thailand and since I finally found fresh basil 🙂 , I just had to make it. This recipe is quite simple, but seriously delicious (not joking around here!) and should be served with a tall glass of Thai-style Iced Tea, recipe to follow. You must try this recipe!
Thai-style Basil Chicken
-2 chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
-1 Tbls fish sauce
-2 tsp sugar or honey
-1 Tbls fish sauce (don’t be scared of this, it just adds a salty flavor, so try not to substitute it!)
-1 Tbls oyster sauce
-1/2 to 1 tsp Korean chili paste (1/2 tsp for mild, more for spicy, I like 3/4 tsp)
-2 1/2 tsp dark rice syrup or sugar (the syrup adds a bolder flavor)
-1 tsp rice vinegar
-2 Tbls water
-1/4 tsp cornstarch
-1 head bok choy, thinly sliced
-3-4 garlic cloves, diced
-1/2 onion, thinly sliced
-1/3 cup (2 containers) fresh basil, chopped, divided
-1/4 cup rice wine (for deglazing)
1) Marinate the chicken in the fish sauce and sugar/honey for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2) Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl, whisk together and set aside.
3) Saute the chicken in a little oil (1 tsp) or cooking spray for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
4) Add the onion to the pan and deglaze with the rice wine. Simmer for 1-2 minutes letting the alcohol evaporate.
5) Add in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
6) Add the sauce mixture and bok choy to the pan and let the veggies simmer for 2-3 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick or sticky, you can add a few tablespoons of water to deglaze.
6) Add the chicken back to the pan and 3/4 of the chopped basil. Turn off the heat.
7) Serve with rice and garnish with remaining chopped basil.
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. The Korea chili paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine, rice vinegar, and dark rice syrup can be found at Home Plus or E-Mart and the basil can be found (usually) at E-Mart.
For 1 Serving: 185 Calories, 2.7 g Fat, 0.7 g Saturated Fat, 58.5 mg Cholesterol, 1,121 mg Sodium, 14.9 g Carbohydrates, 1 g Fiber, 8.2 g Sugars, 24 g Protein.