This is a classic sweet and sour chicken recipe with Thai sweet chili sauce to give it an extra kick. Ever since returning from Thailand, I have been trying to use more Thai ingredients because I love Thai food!
Sweet and Sour Chicken Bowl
-2 chicken breasts, diced (or 1 1/2 cups of peeled & deveined shrimp, yummy!)
-1 Tbls sweet chili sauce
-1/2 Tbls soy sauce
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 chicken bouillon cube
-1/3 cup water
-1 Tbls ketchup
-2 Tbls sweet chili sauce (this sauce is only mildly spicy!)
-2 Tbls rice vinegar
-1 Tbls honey
-1 Tbls soy sauce (low sodium preferred)
-1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp pepper
-2 tsp cornstarch
-1/2 onion, diced
-1 bell pepper (red or green), diced
-1/2 cup pineapple, diced (canned or fresh)
-2 Tbls green onions, chopped
-1 tsp sesame oil
*Feel free to mix and match the veggies, I think bok choy or broccoli would be good in this recipe too.
1) Marinate the chicken with the sweet chili sauce and soy sauce for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2) Mix the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Don’t forget to taste test in-case you need to add more salt or honey to your liking!
3) Saute the chicken over medium-high heat in 1 tsp sesame oil for about 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove from pan. (If using shrimp they will only take about 2-3 minutes to cook)
4) Rinse out the pan if it got blackened from cooking the chicken, that could ruin your sauce.
5) Saute the onions and bell peppers over medium-high heat in 1 tsp sesame oil for about 2-3 minutes. Turn the heat to medium and add the sauce mixture to the pan. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the sauce is thick, then add the pineapple and cook for 1 more minute.
6) Add the chicken and green onions to the pan and turn off the heat. Mix together.
7) Serve with mixed-grain rice (or regular rice) and enjoy!
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find the chicken broth, pineapple and sweet chili sauce at Home Plus. All other ingredients at your local mart.
For 1 Serving: 279 Calories, 6.5 g Fat, 1.3 g Saturated Fat, 58.7 mg Cholesterol, 950 mg Sodium, 31.6 g Carbohydrates, 1 g Fiber, 25.3 g Sugars, 22.9 g Protein.