After a long day of teaching, I love to have a substantial meal with lots of veggies. My Korean boss told me that buckwheat noodles are ‘very good at health,’ so I thought I would try them out with a chicken and veggie stirfry with a bulgogi-style marinade.
Chicken and Vegetables with Buckwheat Noodles
-2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tsp pre-minced garlic in tub)
-2 Tbls soy sauce
-1 Tbls honey
-1 Tbls rice wine
-1 Tbls sesame oil
-2 Tbls orange or apple juice
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-2 tsp corn starch
-1 Tbls sesame seeds
-2 chicken breasts, sliced
-1 Tbls soy sauce
-1/2 Tbls sauce mix (from above)
-1 small carrot, sliced
-1/2 zucchini, sliced
-1 small onion, sliced
-2 green onions, chopped
-100 g (1/4 of a 400g pkg) of buckwheat (Soba) noodles
-1 tsp sesame oil
-1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl.
2. Marinade the chicken with 1 Tbls soy sauce and 1 Tbls of the sauce for at least 30 minutes.
3. Steam the carrots for 1-2 minutes to make them tender (easier to stirfry).
4. Saute the chicken in a fry pan about 2 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
5. While the chicken is sauteing, start the buckwheat noodes. Add the noodles to a pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt. Cook for only 3-5 minutes and drain. Add the 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 tsp of sesame seeds to the noodles.
5. Add a small amount of oil or cooking spray to the pan and add the veggies. Stirfry for about 2 minutes, then add the sauce mixture. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until sauce thickens and veggies are finished.
6. Add the chicken back into the pan and turn off the heat. Garnish with additional green onions and/or sesame seeds.
Below are the ingredients used in this recipe. You can find them all in most local grocery stores or marts. I like these Beksul noodles the best because they are much much lower in sodium than most other Korean brands of buckwheat noodles. I also really like Ottogi brand products, below are the sesame oil and cooking wine.
For 1 Serving: 402 kcal, 10 g Fat, 1 g Saturated Fat, 48.3 mg Cholesterol, 1110 mg Sodium, 56.9 g Carbohydrates, 3.1 g Fiber, 14 g Sugars, 26.6 g Protein